Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thing #7

It is important to comment on blogs to keep the discussion going.  What is the point to a blog if it is not interactive with the author & readers?  I learned that comments should be meaningful and constructive.  Rather than comment with "good idea", add more to the conversation.  In response to a teacher's blog about a place value activity, I shared a different way in which the activity could be done.  I am curious to see if there are any other variations on the activity that I could use to modify it in a way to best fit my students' needs.

When using blogs with students, it is important to teach them etiquette and what is and is not acceptable.  How they respond to those who comment on their posts should also be addressed. 

When writing posts, one should invite comments through asking questions.  Questions should be open ended, not just a yes or no question.  It is also important that the writer interact with the readers through the comments that are left.  It would be a very one sided conversation without interaction from the author and the readers.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am working through this course as well. I will be teaching 4th grade at Hanby Elementary. The last two years I have taught 2nd and they loved the blog idea. I invited a few kids to write a post and then had a few kids comment. They loved seeing their words being published. I think it is not only a great way to instill manners, (which is a huge deal) but an opportunity to give our students real world applications for things like grammar and spelling. Happy blogging! ☺

    ✰Becca
    Fun is Found in Fourth

    ReplyDelete